A couple days back the whole interweb was up in arms because Amazon removed its free shipping program to Singapore. Under the old system, purchases of US$125 or more would qualify for free international shipping.
The good news is that Amazon has launched its Prime service in Singapore, and free international shipping now comes at a much lower threshold. For an introductory price of $2.99 per month (regular price: S$8.99), those in Singapore can get unlimited international shipping on orders above S$60.
What does Amazon Prime Singapore come with?
Prime members in Singapore get access to free two hour delivery on PrimeNow orders (groceries and such) above S$40. As mentioned before, they also get unlimited free international shipping on orders above S$60 from Amazon’s US site (take note that not every item can be shipped to Singapore, however).
Prime is more than just free shipping, of course. You’ll also have access to Prime Video which lets you watch selected movies and TV shows. Gamers have access to Twitch Prime.
Amazon Prime has a 30 day free trial membership that can be accessed here.
Last point: some people in Singapore may already be holding Amazon Prime US subscriptions (my family does) but take note that Prime membership is country-specific. That is, you can’t leverage your Prime US membership to get free shipping to Singapore.
What credit card do I use?
Citibank is running a 8 mpd promotion on the Amazon Prime Now App from now till 29 Jan 2018 with the Citibank Rewards Visa card. This is capped at a maximum of S$1,000 of spending each statement cycle. My reading of this is that if you use the Prime Now app to buy things from Amazon’s US site, you’re also eligible for 8 mpd, but I’m open to correction on this.
$192.60 (First Year Free)
Citibank Rewards Visa
- Earn 4 mpd for all your online and offline shopping, capped at $12,000 of spend each card membership year. This includes purchases of bags, shoes and clothes as well as shopping at department stores. Exhaust your cap? Get the Mastercard version and double your cap to $24,000
- From now till 29 Jan 2018, enjoy 8 mpd on Amazon Prime Now purchases, capped at $1,000 each statement cycle
- New Citibank customers can earn up to $120 of cashback for spending $200 in each of the first 6 months after application (if you're lost for ideas, buy Amazon or Qoo10 vouchers)
- Points have a 5 year expiry and Citibank has the widest range of airline partners in Singapore- SIA, Cathay, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Air France, KLM, Etihad, Thai, Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, EVA, and Garuda
- Remember that Citibank does not pool points among different cards. This means you will have to pay a separate conversion fee for each credit card when you want to cash out your points
Otherwise, you could use your usual online spending cards like the DBS Woman’s World for 4 mpd.
I’m definitely going to sign up for an account at $2.99 a month. With the reduced threshold to get free international shipping plus 30 day free trial I’m already coming out ahead. I think LiveUp is really going to have to step up their game…