Cardholders can look forward to perks like a complimentary night’s stay at the St Regis or W Singapore, $800 worth of hotel and airline credit, extensive airport lounge access, elite status with various hotel and rental car chains, dining vouchers and more.
Given that the Platinum Charge was only relaunched in August 2018, the question was whether AMEX would be as generous with the benefits the second time round, when it came time to renew the card. Well, it seems that question has been preempted…
AMEX Platinum Charge cardholders are receiving 2019’s vouchers early
You’d think that we’d have to wait until at least August 2019 to find out what the renewal deal was, but numerous cardholders (myself included) have received their renewal packet in the mail…almost 7 months early.
Included in the packet are a reminder of the Platinum Charge’s benefits, and more importantly, two thick stacks of vouchers.
What vouchers are included?
- $400 Air Travel Credit Voucher
- $400 Lodging Credit Voucher
- One Complimentary Night Stay at St Regis/W Singapore
- 4X $50 St Regis Singapore dining vouchers
- Complimentary house wine/cake when dining at Marriott Cafe
- 50% savings on high tea buffet for 2-6 persons at Marriott Cafe
- $50 dining voucher at Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel outlets
- $100 Tower Club Singapore voucher
- Complimentary Deep Tissue Body massage at Spa Rael
- Complimentary Ginger Detox Body Treatment at The Ultimate
- Complimentary Diamond White Face Spa at Adeva Spa
- 2X Complimentary cake or house wine vouchers at FAR Card restaurants
- 50% off total food bill for 8-10 adults at selected FAR Card restaurants
- 5X Complimentary Room Upgrade voucher at Fairmont/Swissotel Singapore
- Special weekend rate vouchers at Swissotel The Stamford ($250++), Swissotel Merchant Court ($230++), Fairmont Singapore ($270++)
From what I can tell, the vouchers are exactly the same as those included the first time round. There is no complimentary 2 night stay at selected Banyan Tree and Mandarin Oriental Hotels, but keep in mind that was a first year only gift.
What if you don’t intend to renew?
I’m sure everyone loves getting something for nothing, but the question remains: is it really for nothing? The package presupposes the context: that you’re going to renew your AMEX Platinum Charge membership in the coming year. What if you don’t?
It’s an interesting conundrum- there’s no mention of clawbacks for any of these vouchers, although the T&C of $800 of flight/lodging credits mention that they’re only valid if the full annual fee is paid “for the relevant year of card membership”. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that you can use the rest of the vouchers without renewing your membership in 2019 (hello additional St Regis/W Singapore stay), but should you use the $800 flight/lodging credits and not renew your membership, you’ll be subject to a clawback.
I suppose the other question is: should you subsequently renew your card membership in 2019, will you get a third set of vouchers? That’s probably asking too much, and I don’t think it’ll happen. This may simply be a tactic by AMEX to encourage people to renew in 2019 by frontloading the benefits.
If you hold an AMEX Platinum Charge card, be sure to look out for your vouchers. The only one I’ve actually used is the $400 lodging credit, but with plenty of travel and events in the year ahead I can see myself really maxing all of them out.
Signing up for cards or making purchases through the links in this article may generate a referral commission that supports the running of The Milelion. Found this post useful? Subscribe to ourTelegram Channel to get these posts pushed directly to your phone, or our newsletter (on the right of your screen) for the latest deals and hacks delivered to your inbox.