EDIT: If you are a member of InsideFlyer (free to join) you get a further 10% bonus miles. Details here
Everyone’s favourite South American airline, Avianca, is holding another mileage sale. As usual, you will need to have been a member of Lifemiles prior to them announcing this sale in order to take part.
This promotion runs from 18th November to 18th December and the total miles you can buy within a calendar year has been raised to 375,000 (including bonus miles).
With this promotion you can potentially buy Lifemiles for as low as 1.467 US cents per miles. This is a good value, even though Lifemiles has recently devalued its award chart. A one way ticket from Singapore to San Francisco in business class would cost you 78,000 miles, or ~US$1,144. Remember that Lifemiles does not charge fuel surcharges, so the taxes and surcharges on that ticket will be very low (~$66 USD in this case)
The screenshot below shows how the calculation works. Because I’ve bought a fair bit this year, the maximum I can buy is 100,000 miles with the 115% bonus making it a total of 215,000 miles. That makes my purchase price 1.535 US cents per mile.
The standard caveats about Lifemiles apply
- Don’t purchase speculatively, only buy if you have a definite use in mind
- Lifemiles does not allow mixed cabin bookings
- Cancelling Lifemiles tickets is a pain and costs US$50
- If a routing does not appear on the Lifemiles online booking engine it cannot be mixed
- Lifemiles does not allow you to build in stopovers other than the connections offered in the system
Anyone going to jump on this?