Airport transfers used to be a very common perk available on mass market miles cards like the DBS Altitude and Citibank Premiermiles. Heck, even lesser cards like the CIMB Platinum and the OCBC Titanium had it.
Unfortunately, as time went on these benefits were enhanced away and now there are only a limited selection of cards with complimentary airport transfers.
Here are three important questions to ask when selecting a card with a limo benefit and a summary of how the different benefits stack up
- How much do I need to spend to qualify for the benefit?
- Every bank requires you to spend a minimum amount before awarding a complimentary transfer. Some banks require the spending be entirely in foreign currency, others allow for local currency
- How many times can I use the benefit per year?
- Even if you hit the spending threshold, you may not be eligible for transfer if you’ve maxed out your cap for the period. Some cards cap by year, others by quarter, others by both
- Does the card offer airport pickup or dropoff?
- Most cards offer dropoff only because it entails less “dead” time- the driver waits 10-15 minutes and if you’re a no-show that’s it. Airport pickup, on the other hand, needs a bigger buffer to account for delays, immigration and baggage collection and is a more expensive service to provide
Comparison of Benefits
I have compiled the various limo benefits being offered by different cards here. I am aware that some cards may allow you to redeem your points for airport transfer, but have not included those here because they aren’t “free”.
|Card||Min Spend Requirement||Max Uses||Airport Drop/Pickup|
|UOB PRVI Miles (AMEX only)||S$1K overseas spend per quarter (excludes online transactions)||2 per quarter, 8 per year||Drop only|
|Citibank Prestige||S$1.5K overseas spend in a quarter||4 per quarter, 8 per year||Drop or pickup|
|HSBC Visa Infinite||S$2K spend in a month (first two per year are free)||24 per year (includes the two free trips)||Drop only|
|Maybank Visa Infinite||S$3K spend in a month (no min spend if >$60K spending in prev. year)||2 per S$3K spend, 8 per year||Drop or pickup|
|OCBC Voyage||S$3K spend in a month||2 per month||Drop or pickup|