Citibank has kickstarted an absolutely amazing promotion with Apple Pay that runs from 26 April to 31 July 2018. With this promotion, you can earn up to 8 mpd on transactions made through Apple Pay on your Citibank Ultima, Citibank Prestige and Citibank Rewards cards, or 4 mpd with your Citibank Premiermiles card (only the Visa version, curiously).
The promotion covers most Citibank cards, but the Ultima, Prestige and Rewards present the biggest bang for your buck as you’ll see in the table below (remember that 1 Citi Dollar= 0.4 miles):
You can find the full T&C here.
Unfortunately, this is strictly for Apple Pay only. No love for those of us with Google Pay or Samsung Pay- we’ll have to keep using the OCBC Titanium Rewards for 4 mpd. However, if you have an iPhone that supports Apple Pay, you should absolutely be looking to get in on this deal while it lasts. Apple Pay is accepted so widely now (virtually every terminal that takes contactless payments will also accept Apple Pay, or other mobile payments for that matter) that this is tantamount to getting 8 mpd everywhere.
There is no cap on the bonus points you can earn through this promotion. Also, there is no suggestion within the T&C that this cap has anything to do with the $12,000 annual cap on 10X for department stores, bags, shoes and clothes.
The catch, if you want to call it that, is that if you’re using the Citibank Rewards card, the existing 10X (4 mpd) will override the 20X. That’s to say, if I use my Citibank Rewards card with Apple Pay at a department store, or any store that sells bags, clothes or shoes, I’ll earn 10X (4 mpd) points instead of 20X. Also, if you hold on to the Ultima, Prestige or Premiermiles cards, note that you will not earn the bonus if you pay in foreign currency.
The other exciting aspect of this promotion is that in-app payments with Apple Pay are also covered. This means, for example, you could buy air tickets on the Singapore Airlines app and pay with Apple Pay and earn 8 mpd. Or you could pay for your Uber rides with Apple Pay and earn 8 mpd. Contrast this to the existing mobile payments promotion that’s ongoing with the OCBC Titanium Rewards card where in-app payments are specifically excluded.
Remember that Citibank has the widest range of points transfer partners in Singapore. In addition to the usual KrisFlyer and Asia Miles, you can transfer your points to British Airways Avios, Club Carlson, Etihad Guest, EVA Infinity Mileagelands, Air France/KLM Flying Blue, Garuda Frequent Flyer, IHG Rewards Club, Malaysia Airlines Enrich, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Qatar Privilege Club, Thai Royal Orchid Plus and Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles. The annoying thing is your points don’t pool, so you can’t combine the Thank You points earned on the Citibank Prestige card with those earned on your Citibank Rewards card, for example.
Although my head spins with the sheer possibilities for 8 mpd everywhere, I am a loyal Blackberry Keyone user and sadly won’t be able to partake in this deal. I will however be instructing the iPhone-using (read: poser) Milelioness to act swiftly.
If you don’t have a Citibank card yet, you can consider supporting the running of The Milelion by applying for one through the links below or in this article.
(HT: Wilfred on The Milelion’s Telegram Group)
$192.60 (First Year Free)
Citibank Rewards Visa
- New-to-bank customers who apply by 30 Jun 19 and spend $3K in first 3 months get up to 22,800 miles
- Earn 4 mpd for all your online and offline shopping, capped at $12K of spend each card membership year. This includes purchases of bags, shoes and clothes as well as shopping at department stores
- Points have a 5 year expiry and Citibank has the widest range of airline partners in Singapore- SIA, Cathay, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Air France, KLM, Etihad, Thai, Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, EVA, Turkish Airlines and Garuda
- Citibank does not pool points among different cards. This means you will have to pay a separate conversion fee for each credit card when you want to cash out your points
Citi Prestige Card
- Earn 1.3 mpd on local spending, 2.0 mpd on overseas spending, 10 mpd on Kaligo. A 5-30% relationship bonus is applied to your annual spending, depending on your tenure with Citibank
- Unlimited Priority Pass lounge access for you and a guest, 8 airport transfers a year, fourth night free at any hotel around the world, unlimited WiFi access worldwide via Boingo and a 24 hour concierge
- Get $200/$50 in Grab/NTUC/Taka vouchers for new/existing Citibank cardholders from SingSaver when you apply using the links below
- Also get ad-hoc exclusive Citibank promotions such as the 1 for 1 $100 Gourmet
- The Citi Prestige is one of the best cards in the $120-150K income range. Have a read of our comparison post here
$192.60 (First Year Free)
Citibank PremierMiles Visa
- New-to-bank customers who apply by 31 May 19 get 30K miles with $7.5K spend in the first 3 months and payment of the annual fee
- Alternatively, new-to-bank customers who apply by 31 Dec 19 get 10K miles with $3K spend in first 3 months, with annual fee waiver
- Earn 1.2 mpd on local spending, 2 mpd on overseas spending, 3 mpd on Expedia, 7 mpd on Agoda and 10 mpd on Kaligo
- The widest selection of partner airlines in Singapore- pick from KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Thai, EVA, Garuda, Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, Air France, Turkish Airlines, and KLM
- Get 10K miles when you pay your annual fee
- Note that Citibank points do not pool. If you earn points across different Citibank cards you'll need to pay separate conversion fees when you convert them to miles