Yesterday, Citibank announced a great promotion for existing Citi PremierMiles Visa cardholders– by spending $8,888 before 31 March 2019 and paying an admin fee of S$288, cardholders could earn 28,223 bonus miles. This represents buying miles at 1.02 cents each, which is a fantastic price.
There was some concern among cardholders about their eligibility, because not everyone received an SMS or eDM about the promotion, and as per the T&C eligible cardholders needed to receive a direct invitation to participate.
These cardholders were still able to register for the promotion via SMS, but there was always a nagging feeling that they might spend S$8,888 with nothing to show for it. Citi’s CSOs weren’t too helpful either- some said that so long as you held the card before 1 Aug 2018, you were eligible. Others said that if you didn’t get the SMS/eDM, you couldn’t take part.
Well, it seems Citi has taken the initiative to clear this up, at least on their official site. Here’s the new T&C file, which was modified on 1 Feb 6:23pm.
Spot the difference? Part (iii) has been unceremoniously removed. Heck, they didn’t even bother to remove the “and” at the end of (ii), making it look really weird.
So hopefully that settles it: anyone who has held a Citi PremierMiles Visa card before 1 August 2018 is eligible to register and participate.
Targeted promotion with smaller S$2,888 spending threshold also circulating
In addition to the S$8,888 promotion, it seems that Citi has added a second, targeted promotion with a smaller spending threshold.
Cardholders who spend S$2,888 by 31 March 2019 and pay an admin fee of S$58 get 5,423 bonus miles. This represents buying miles at 1.07 cents each, slightly higher than the S$8,888 promotion but still a very good deal. Of course, 5,423 miles isn’t much to go on, but hey, you’re spending 68% less.
Unlike the S$8,888 option, the S$2,888 option is targeted, so you can’t take advantage of it unless you received an eDM or SMS from Citibank.
It’s good that Citi has cleared up the confusion regarding eligibility for the S$8,888 spending promotion- that’s quite a bit to spend, and I imagine people would be pretty bummed out if they ended up with nothing but base miles. Similarly, the S$2,888 targeted offer may not represent a whole lot of miles, but it’s still a much more attainable threshold for most people.
If you don’t already have a Citibank PremierMiles Visa card, you might like to know that Citi has extended their spend $7,500 get 30,000 miles sign up bonus until 31 March.
$192.60 (First Year Free)
Citibank PremierMiles Visa
- New-to-bank customers who apply by 30 Apr 19 get 30K miles with $7.5K spend in the first 3 months and payment of the annual fee
- Alternatively, new-to-bank customers who apply by 31 Dec 19 get 10K miles with $3K spend in first 3 months, with annual fee waiver
- Earn 1.2 mpd on local spending, 2 mpd on overseas spending, 3 mpd on Expedia, 7 mpd on Agoda and 10 mpd on Kaligo
- The widest selection of partner airlines in Singapore- pick from KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Thai, EVA, Garuda, Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, Air France, Turkish Airlines, and KLM
- Get 10K miles when you pay your annual fee
- Note that Citibank points do not pool. If you earn points across different Citibank cards you'll need to pay separate conversion fees when you convert them to miles
Signing up for cards or making purchases through the links in this article may generate a referral commission that supports the running of The Milelion. Found this post useful? Subscribe to our Telegram Channel to get these posts pushed directly to your phone, or our newsletter (on the right of your screen) for the latest deals and hacks delivered to your inbox.