Lifemiles are back on sale from now till 28 Feb with members getting up to a 135% bonus on purchased miles.
As usual, the promotion is tiered, and the more miles you buy, the larger the bonus you get.
It appears that the 135% bonus is only available to targeted accounts. My account was targeted, but there are reports of other accounts only getting a 125% bonus.
Here’s the math (assuming a 135% bonus)
- Buy 1,000-50,000 miles-1. 57 US cpm
- Buy 51,000-100,000 miles- 1.47 US cpm
- Buy 101,000- 200,000 miles- 1.4 US cpm
And for the inevitable question: is this a good time to jump in? It’s certainly not the best sale I’ve seen. Lifemiles have been offered with a 140% bonus, which brings the average cost down to 1.375 US cents per mile. Here’s a reminder of the recent sales
- December 2016- 140%
- November 2016- 140%
- September 2016- 140%
- May 2016- 135%
If you don’t need miles now, I’d recommend holding off for a while. But if you absolutely need to fly now and have been targeted for 135%, I see no reason not to jump in.
Someone recently asked me why I think Lifemiles are a good deal despite it being possible to buy Krisflyer miles for 2 SG cents each (assuming you sign up for the OCBC Voyage card and pay $10K for 500,000 KF miles)
(1) No fuel surcharges on Lifemiles awards
(3) The existence of sweet spots on the Lifemiles award chart, like flying from Singapore to Hawaii for 51,000 miles in business class (one-way)
You should not be buying Lifemiles if your goal is to fly with SQ. This is because
(1) Lifemiles (and other *A partner programs) does not have access to SQ’s long haul First and Business class space. You will at best be able to book SQ’s regional business class seats on the A330
(2) SQ awards are cheaper to redeem through the Krisflyer program than via Lifemiles
The maximum number of Lifemiles you can buy (pre-bonus) each year is 200,000.
Lifemiles purchases will code as airline and online transactions, so you’d earn 4 mpd using your HSBC Advance Card, DBS Woman’s World Card and 3 mpd using your DBS Altitude AMEX/Visa.