I previously wrote about the Krisflyer Ascend switching its free hotel night voucher provider from Millennium to Hilton, and speculated this would also lead to a switch in the complimentary elite status given with the card since it didn’t make sense to have them from two different chains.
In order to get your complimentary Hilton Silver status (well aren’t you lucky!) you need to register here.
Matthew and I have a different reading of who is eligible for this benefit. Here’s what the T&C says:
New American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card Members (Primary/Principal Card Members only) are eligible to enrol for a complimentary Hilton Honors Silver Status via an invite included in their Card welcome pack.
His reading is that only new Krisflyer Ascend cardmembers can register for this, my reading is that only new Krisflyer Ascend cardmembers will get the invite in their pack, but anyone who is an existing Ascend member can register as well. I don’t think the site has too much in the way of cardholder verification (although if you register without holding an Ascend card presumably Hilton could take away your status at any time without warning) though so I doubt this will be an issue in practice.
How long is your status valid for? The T&C says that “once a member reaches Silver status, the member may keep such status only for the calendar year in which the Silver status was earned and the subsequent calendar year”. So my reading is if you register today, you’ll have Hilton Silver for 2018 and 2019, and in 2019 you’ll need to earn sufficient nights/stays to requalify in 2020.
Benefits of Hilton Silver
Hilton Silver usually requires 4 stays or 10 nights in a calendar year. Here are the stated benefits of Hilton Silver status:
- 15% Elite status bonus miles on top of the basic Hilton Honours base points (note that this benefit is changing soon)
- 5th night is free for bookings of 5 nights or more
- 2nd guest stays free
- Late check – out / Complimentary internet access
I don’t see how (3) is a real benefit, insofar as I can’t think of too many hotels which charge a different rate for 1 person vs 2 in the same room (although I know they exist). It should also be noted that unlike Starwood, Hilton’s late check out (even for Diamond members) is dependent on availability.
All in all, this is something that’s nice to have, but hardly a gamechanger. Do note that if you hold a Visa Infinite card you can register for a fast track to Hilton Gold with 2 stays/4 nights.
$337.50 (No First Year Waiver)
American Express KrisFlyer Ascend
- Earn 5,000 miles upon first spend, 15,000 bonus and 7,200 base miles when you spend $6,000 within the first 3 months after approval, 15,000 bonus and 7,200 base miles when you spend a further $6,000 between months 4-6 after approval
- Earn 1.2 mpd on local spend year round and 2 mpd on overseas spend in June and December
- Receive 4 lounge access vouchers for SATS and Plaza Premium Lounges worldwide, one complimentary hotel night with Hilton Hotels and Hilton Silver status. Also, get Krisflyer Elite Gold status with S$15,000 spent on SQ tickets within 12 months of approval
- Earn 3.2 mpd on Grab/Uber payments (up to $200 each month), and 2 mpd on Singapore Airlines/Silk Air tickets
- Receive a further 1,500 miles for each supplementary card approved, up to a maximum of 2 cards
- Miles are automatically deposited into your KrisFlyer account with no conversion fees