American Express has launched a new limited-time offer for the American Express® Singapore Airlines Business Credit Card (aka AMEX HighFlyer Card), exclusively for Milelion readers.
From now till 31 October 2021, new cardholders will receive S$200 CapitaVouchers when they apply and spend S$500 by the end of the month following card approval. This is on top of the regular sign-up gift of a S$300 statement credit, available with S$5,000 spend in the first three months.
All cardholders will continue to enjoy a first year fee waiver and complimentary Accor Plus membership (with a free hotel night and up to 50% off dining). If you own a small or medium-sized business, it’s an absolute must-have.
AMEX HighFlyer Card Acquisition Offer
|Note: The additional S$200 CapitaVouchers will not reflect on the landing page. However, you can download and keep a copy of these T&Cs for your reference.|
AMEX HighFlyer Card members who apply via The Milelion by 31 October 2021 will receive S$200 CapitaVouchers when they spend S$500 by the end of the calendar month following approval. For example, if they are approved on 23 September 2021 they will need to meet the minimum spend by 31 October 2021.
If they spend an additional S$4,500 (total S$5,000) within the first three months of approval, they will receive a S$300 statement credit as well, plus a total of 9,000 HighFlyer points (based on 1.8 points per S$1; equivalent to 9,000 KrisFlyer miles)
|❓ AMEX defines “first 3 months” as the first partial calendar month plus subsequent three full calendar months, so by applying early in the month, you have almost four months to meet the minimum spend.|
American Express is fairly liberal with what counts towards sign-up bonus spending. With the exception of the following, everything else will count towards the S$500/S$5,000 spending requirement:
- Charges processed and billed prior to the Enrolment Date or charges prepaid on any Card Account prior to the first billing statement for that Card Account following the Enrolment Date
- Cash Advance and other cash services
- American Express Travellers Cheque purchases
- Charges for dishonoured cheques
- Finance charges – including Line of Credit charges and Credit Card interest charges
- Late payment and collection charges
- Tax refunds from overseas purchases
- Balance Transfer
- Instalment plans, except where American Express determines otherwise
- Annual Card fees
- Amount billed for purchase of HighFlyer points to top-up your points balance
- Purchase and top-up charges for EZ-Link cards using American Express Cards
For avoidance of doubt, GrabPay top-ups and insurance payments will earn points and count towards sign-up bonus spending (unlike with AMEX consumer cards).
The S$200 CapitaVouchers will be sent to your billing address within 8-12 weeks after the promotion end date, i.e. 31 October 2021.
The statement credit should be deposited into your account within five business days of meeting the offer criteria, but may take up to 90 days from the offer end date in rare cases.
There is no requirement that you be new-to-AMEX. This offer is valid even if you already hold an existing AMEX consumer card.
Overview: AMEX HighFlyer Card
|Income Req.||S$30,000 p.a||Points Validity||3 years|
(First Year Free)
|Miles with |
|FCY Fee||2.95%||Transfer Fee||None|
|Local Earn||1.8 mpd||Points Pool?||N/A|
|FCY Earn||1.8 mpd||Lounge Access?||Yes|
|Special Earn||8.5 mpd on SIA Group||Airport Limo?||No|
|Cardholder Terms and Conditions|
AMEX HighFlyer Card members earn 8.5 HighFlyer points per S$1 on Singapore Airlines and Scoot transactions (this includes the base 5 HighFlyer points that all HighFlyer companies already earn), and 1.8 HighFlyer points per S$1 on transactions elsewhere.
|✈️ What is HighFlyer?|
HighFlyer is Singapore Airlines’ loyalty program for SMEs. The program is free to join and does not require any minimum spend commitment; all you need to sign up is an ACRA business registration number.
HighFlyer is essentially a cash rebate scheme. Companies earn 5 HighFlyer points per S$1 spent on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir, Scoot, Lufthansa, and SWISS (excluding airport fees and government taxes), and can redeem them at a rate of 1,050 HighFlyer points= S$10.
HighFlyer points are valid for 3 years, and cannot be earned on Q, N, V and K booking classes (i.e. Economy Lite fares). They can be converted into KrisFlyer miles for nominated employees at a rate of 1 HighFlyer point= 1 KrisFlyer mile.
This makes the AMEX HighFlyer Card the best general spending card on the market with a 1.8 mpd earn rate. For comparison, the rates with other cards range from 1.2-1.6 mpd.
Do note the following restrictions when converting HighFlyer points to miles:
- Each HighFlyer account shall only be linked to a maximum of five selected KrisFlyer accounts for the purpose of converting HighFlyer points to KrisFlyer miles
- Each HighFlyer account shall only be allowed to convert HighFlyer points to a maximum of 150,000 KrisFlyer miles per calendar year
- Each selected KrisFlyer account may receive a maximum of 30,000 KrisFlyer miles converted from HighFlyer points per calendar year, regardless of which HighFlyer accounts the points are converted from
Purchases of Singapore Airlines tickets will enjoy 0% interest for six months, and other purchases get 51 days of interest-free credit. Employees who purchase tickets with the card will still be entitled to accrue miles for personal use, based on the fare class purchased.
In terms of personal benefits, cardholders enjoy:
- Two complimentary visits to Priority Pass lounges
- A complimentary Accor Plus membership with one free stay every year and up to 50% off dining
- Hertz Gold status with 10% off best available rates and one class upgrades
- A fast track to KrisFlyer Elite Gold status with S$15,000 or more spent on Singapore Airlines group transactions in the first year of card membership
- Complimentary travel insurance when travel tickets are bought with the card
AMEX HighFlyer Card members will also enjoy the following spending bonuses:
- First year only: 5,000 HighFlyer points for S$500 SIA Group spending
- Every year: 15,000 HighFlyer points for S$10,000 SIA Group spending
Complimentary Accor Plus Membership
AMEX HighFlyer Card members receive a free Accor Plus membership, which includes the “Stay Plus” benefit: one complimentary hotel night each year.
Even if you can’t go overseas right now, the Stay Plus benefit can be redeemed at local hotels such as (not all are open for staycations yet):
- Sofitel Singapore City Centre
- SO/ Sofitel Singapore
- Sofitel Sentosa Resort & Spa
- Novotel Singapore On Stevens
- Fairmont Singapore
Accor Plus members also get access to the periodic Red Hot Rooms sale, which may be a good opportunity to book cheap staycation rates. I’ve seen the Fairmont Singapore going for as low as S$143 nett, and the Grand Mercure for as little as S$64 nett.
The other big draw of an Accor Plus membership is the dining discounts. The discount structure works like this:
- 25% off dining: 1 member only
- 50% off dining: 1 member and 1 guest
- 33% off dining: 1 member and 2 guests
- 25% off dining: 1 member and 3 guests
- 15% off drinks in Asia
Some examples of participating Accor Plus restaurants in Singapore include Prego, Mikuni, Asian Market Cafe and Szechuan Court at the Fairmont, SKAI, Bar Rouge, Cafe Swiss and Kopi Tiam at Swissotel and The Cliff, The Garden, Kwee Zeen at the Sofitel Sentosa Resort.
For those who have already received their AMEX HighFlyer Card, here’s how to go about activating your Accor Plus membership.
In fact, should you enjoy the benefits of an Accor Plus membership, it’s still cheaper to pay the AMEX HighFlyer Card’s S$299 annual fee instead of buying an Accor Plus membership (S$408 for the version with one free hotel night).
The AMEX HighFlyer Card is an absolute no-brainer for those who qualify. New cardholders enjoy up to S$500 of sign-up gifts, plus a free hotel night each year of membership and up to 50% off at more than 1,400 restaurants across Asia Pacific.
All this and the highest general spending earn rate of any card (including on GrabPay top-ups and insurance), plus a first year fee waiver.
This limited-time offer will lapse on 31 October 2021, so remember to submit your application before then.