American Express has launched a new sign-up offer for the AMEX True Cashback Card, and the good news is there’s something for both new and existing customers.
From 16-31 July 2021, applicants for the AMEX True Cashback Card who spend S$500 in the first month of approval will receive:
- New AMEX Customers: An ErgoTune Classic ergonomic chair (worth S$399) or S$160 cash
- Existing AMEX Customers: S$100 cash
AMEX True Cashback Offer
|Income Req.||Annual Fee||Cashback Rate|
|S$30,000||S$171.20 (first year free)||1.5%*|
|*3% for the first 6 months, capped at S$5,000|
New American Express customers who apply for an AMEX True Cashback Card by 31 July 2021 will receive an ErgoTune Classic (worth S$399) or S$160 cash when they spend at least S$500 in the first month of approval.
|❓ American Express defines new customers as those who do not hold any principal AMEX card now or in the past 12 months. Corporate/business cards and those issued by DBS/ Citibank/ UOB do not count.|
Existing customers will receive S$100 cash when they spend at least S$500 in the first month of approval.
On top of this, both new and existing customers get S$20 CapitaVouchers when they apply through SingPass MyInfo.
AMEX True Cashback Card members will earn 3% cashback on up to S$5,000 spent in the first 6 months of membership, which means a new customer who spends S$500 would receive:
- S$160 cash/ErgoTune chair
- S$20 Dairy Farm Group Vouchers (apply via MyInfo)
- S$15 cashback (3% of S$500)
That’s a S$195 return on $500 of spending; none too shabby. You can find the full T&Cs for both new and existing offers here.
Why apply for an AMEX True Cashback Card?
Why would any miles collector need a cashback card?
It’s quite simple: rewards category exclusions. Unfortunately, banks have tightened their T&Cs over the past couple of years, and now it’s virtually impossible to earn rewards points for the following transactions:
American Express still offers rewards for charitable donations, education and government transactions, and the AMEX True Cashback Card in particular still offers cashback for insurance and utilities.
Even if AMEX isn’t accepted by the merchant, you could always use the AMEX True Cashback Card is to top up your GrabPay Card and then make payment.
For example, you could top up your GrabPay balance with the AMEX True Cashback Card and use the GrabPay Mastercard to pay your insurance bill, effectively shaving 1.5% off the premium. Likewise, you could use the GrabPay Mastercard to pay a government agency or educational institution via AXS, saving 1.5% in the process.
There are almost no rewards exclusions for the AMEX True Cashback Card, which makes it a very useful “catch-all” solution when other cards don’t earn points/cashback.
- Apply through any of the links in this article
- You will be directed to a SingSaver landing page. Enter your email address and click “confirm”
- Complete your application and take a screenshot of the Application Reference Number (for AMEX, it’s in the format 2021xxxxxxxxxxSGD)
- Fill in the SingSaver rewards form that will be sent to your email. It’s vital you fill in the form– no form, no reward.
You’ll be able to indicate your choice of gift in the rewards form if applicable.
The approved card must be activated and a minimum qualifying spend of S$500 made within the first 30 days of approval.
“Qualifying Spend” refers to any retail transactions excluding:
- Charges processed and billed prior to the Enrolment Date or charges prepaid on any
Card Account prior to the first billing statement for that Card Account following the Enrolment Date;
- Cash Advance and other cash services;
- Express Cash;
- American Express Travellers Cheque purchases;
- Charges for dishonoured cheques;
- Finance charges – including Line of Credit charges and Credit Card interest charges;
- Late Payment and collection charges;
- Tax refunds from overseas purchases;
- Balance Transfers;
- Instalment plans;
- Annual Card fees;
- Purchase and top-up charges for EZ-Link Cards using American Express Cards;
- Charges at merchants or establishments that are excluded by American Express at its sole discretion and notified by American Express to you from time to time.
All gifts will be fulfilled within 12 weeks of meeting the qualifying criteria.
Do note that you will not receive your gift immediately upon meeting the minimum spend- the reason for the delay is the need to confirm eligibility with the bank. Please take note of this timeline before applying, and only apply if you’re willing to wait.
Any enquiries about gift fulfillment should be sent to [email protected]
While the AMEX True Cashback Card wouldn’t be my first port of call for spending, it’s undeniably got its share of use cases which will only grow as other banks tighten rewards exclusion categories.
It’s also very rare we see a sign-up offer for existing AMEX customers, and if nothing else, it’s 20% cashback on a S$500 spend.